Friday, August 14, 2009

What I Read (9)

Date: March 24, 2007
Title: The Beethoven Factor Author: Paul Pearsall
Thoughts: “Remember, the first mental food of your day will set your mental tone for the entire day” (quote from the book).

Date: March 31, 2007
Title: The Big Sleep
Author: Raymond Chandler
Thoughts: These stories don’t end when everything seems to be tied up. If things to feel right to Marlowe, he’ll unravel his case, put a new twist on it and tie it up in a new way.

Date: April 12 & 14, 2007
Titles: Henry Huggins, Beezus and Ramona, Ramona the Brave
Author: Beverly Cleary
Thoughts: I read and enjoyed these books as a kid. I enjoyed them again, especially Beezus and Ramona. These books were loaned to me by a friend who still had them from her childhood. The first time I read them, I checked them out from my elementary school library.

Date: May 6, 2007
Title: The Richest Man Who Ever Lived
Author: Steven K. Scott
Thoughts: I have taken the challenge to read Proverbs every day.

Date: May 8, 2007
Title: Proverbs
Thoughts:
“I love those who love me [Wisdom],
And those who seek me diligently will find me.
Riches and honor are with me,
Enduring riches and righteousness.
My fruit is better than gold, yes, than fine gold,
And my revenue than choice silver” (Proverbs 8:17-19).

Date: May 10, 2007
Title: The Ghost Map
Author: Steven Johnson
Thoughts: There seems to be a subtle implication that Rev. Whitehead’s r
easonableness was unique among religious people, not the norm.

Date: July 8, 2007
Title: The Christian’s Secret of a Happy Life Author: Hannah Whitall Smith
Thoughts: I enjoyed this book. I wish I had come across it as a young Christian. I’d like to read it again some day.

Date: July 12, 2007
Title: The Relaxation Response
Author: Herbert Benson with Miriam Z. Klipper
Thoughts: This is very interesting. If we have such a way to manage stress and counteract some of its worst effects, why aren’t we using it? I’m not signing up for TM, but surely, I can elicit this response in an appropriate way.

Other parts of What I Read:
Part 1, Part 2, Part 3, Part 4, Part 5,
Part 6, Part 7, Part 8

No comments:

Post a Comment