Wednesday, June 3, 2009

What I Read (4)

Date: July 3, 2005
Title: Toxic Success
Author: Paul Pearsall
Thoughts: Pearsall advocates a life of contentment, calm and connection; sweet success as opposed to “normal” success. I have a dose of the toxic. I’d like to revisit this book sometime and see if and how my success sweetens.

Date: July 10, 2005
Title: The Five Love Languages
Author: Gary Chapman
Thoughts: I’d like to read this book again, review if my assessment of certain peoples’ love languages is correct and see how I’m doing at another time.

Date: July 30, 2005
Title: Into the Depths of God
Author: Calvin Miller
Thoughts: “The number one sin many Christians may need to confess is the sin of carrying guilt. When we carry guilt for confessed sin, we are saying that the cross was too small to cover our own sin” (quote from the book).

Date: August 7, 2005
Title: Girl, 15, Charming But Insane
Author: Sue Limb
Thoughts: I liked this book. Funny. Not too painful.

Date: August 13, 2005
Title: The Gospel of Mark (The Holy Bible, NKJV)
Thoughts: “And he looked around in a circle at those who sat about Him, and said ‘Here are My mother and My brothers! For whoever does the will of God is My brother and My sister and mother’” (Mark 3:34).

Date: August 19, 2005
Title: Steam: The Untold Story of America’s First Great Invention
Author: Andrea Sutcliffe
Thoughts: It seems to me that Fitch and Rumsey were within reach of their fortunes, and could have grasped them, if they had not been sidetracked by pursuing fame. I the fame would have come with the fortune.

Date: August 26, 2005
Title: The Feud that Sparked the Renaissance
Author: Paul Robert Walker
Thoughts: Another book of rivalry. A nicer story, though, because these men continued to master and improve their work in the midst of their rivalry. The new fame came more from excellent work than from grand claims, though they made grand claims, too.

Other parts of What I Read:
Part 1
Part 2
Part 3

No comments:

Post a Comment