Thursday, June 25, 2009

What I Read (5)

Date: September 6, 2005
Title: Fortune’s Formula Author: William Poundstone
Thoughts: I can see how the Kelly criteria might help one allocate assets for investment. However, it seems to require computing and special knowledge that an individual is unlikely to have access to. It is a game for fund managers.

Date: September 16, 2005
Title: Secrets of the Millionaire Mind Author: T. Harv Eker
Thoughts: I will have a net worth of $1 million by October 2, 2008. (Unfortunately, this did not come to pass.)

Quotes to remember:

“Simple pictures are best,” the photographer in Simple Pictures Are Best by Nancy Willard.

“The man who gets married has the daring of Jesse James, the courage of a wounded rhinoceros and a disposition to gamble besides which the man who broke the bank at Monte Carlo was a poor-spirited piker,” Dorothy Carnegie in Don’t Grow Old—Grow Up!
Date: September 20, 2005
Title: The One Minute Millionaire
Author: Mark Victor Hansen & Robert G. Allen
Thoughts: I will be squeaky-clean, rose-scented rich.

Date: September 22, 2005
Title: Are You Dumb Enough to be Rich? Author: G. William Barnett II
Thoughts: There are two things in this book I could put to work quickly. Plus, I’m going to be squeaky-clean, rose-scented rich. Woo-hoo.

Date: October 14, 2005
Title: University of Success
Editor: Og Mandino
Thoughts: I wish I had been put through a course like this again and again in youth. Now I not only need to learn the good lessons, but unlearn the many bad lessons. Thank God, I can make a start now.

Date: October 27, 2005
Title: The Ancient Engineers
Author: L. Sprague de Camp
Thoughts: The author is so opposed to religion he refuses to even use the conventional A.D. and B.C. on his dates, though they are otherwise from the Gregorian calendar. Otherwise, I enjoyed it. Much like Hill and Landels.

Other parts of What I Read:
Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4

No comments:

Post a Comment