Thursday, December 18, 2008

The Leadership Triad by Dale E. Zand

Zand, Dale E. The Leadership Triad. New York: Oxford UP, 1997.
ISBN 0-19-509240-6

Dale E. Zand discusses what leadership means and what its requirements are in a rapidly changing world. He calls this new leadership “triadic.” Three principles are the foundation of triadic leadership: knowledge, trust and power. He devotes parts of the book to each, defining the principles and demonstrating their practical meaning in leadership. As the book progresses, he shows how these principles relate and build in each other.

The book is full of interesting material. An item that stands out in my mind is Zand’s discussion of knowledge work and how to manage knowledge workers. My job, at its best, is knowledge work. I was surprised to find my coworkers, myself, and our reactions to different management approaches succinctly described. As Zand predicts, we respond positively to supervision that recognizes the nature of knowledge work and our professionalism. Supervision that fails to recognized this stirs up resentment.

Zand, like several other authors, makes good use of short case studies for illustration. It is not enough; it just whets my appetite. I think a few detailed, chapter-long case studies related to the use of the three principles would add a lot of depth to the book without adding many pages.

I originally wrote this review in 1999 when I read the book for a class. I’m still a knowledge worker, though as an entrepreneur instead as an employee. You can find out more about my business here.

No comments:

Post a Comment