Saturday, September 29, 2018

A Mind for Numbers by Barbara A. Oakley


I was bad at math. Possibly I still am. I missed a lot of recess in third grade as I struggled with multiplication tables. I had to take Calculus II twice in college.

This isn’t an inherent quality of mine. My struggles with math stemmed from lack of effort, poor study habits and inadequate preparation leading to falling farther and farther behind. (Incidentally, I managed to earn and engineering degree in spite of myself.) These are things that can be overcome by learning skill and developing good habits.

In A Mind for Number, Barbara Oakley describes the learning skills and habits needed to master math and science. Actually, you could use the advice in this book to improve you’re learning in any field. I started a new job a couple of months ago and I’m using some of the techniques to get up to speed as fast as I can and develop a deeper understanding of the industry I’m working in.

People tend to associate math and science with focused thinking. It is necessary to focus, especially when you are taking in new material. However, it is also very important to take breaks to allow for diffuse thinking, something like daydreaming, so the brain can stumble upon connections between thoughts, ideas and memories that are not obvious, or even available, when you are focused. This diffuse thinking helps one to gain a broader understanding of a subject that makes acquiring new information easier when you return to focused thought.

That broader understanding is important. Math and science is more than a great pile of facts. There are concepts that link these facts, and understanding these concepts helps you to understand and remember the facts. As Oakley points out, mastery of math and science is not only about knowing techniques for solving problems, is also about recognizing when to use a technique.

You brain can be your friend or enemy when it comes to learning. Oakley gives readers tips on how to get friendly with your brain. Struggling with a subject can be the result from leaning on our brains weaknesses. We can learn to apply our brains strengths to learning. Some of the things our brain is good at are remembering locations, remembering images (the wilder the better) and forming powerful habits.

Oakley doesn’t just talk about learning skills. Her book is structured in a way that demonstrates and encourages readers to use the techniques she describes.

I wish I had come across a book like this when I was much younger. Learning is a skill, and improving learning skills can help you improve in anything you want to learn.

If you’re interested in this book, you may also be interested in

Oakley, Barbara. A Mind for Numbers: How to Excel at Math and Science (Even If You Flunked Algebra). New York: TarcherPerigee, 2014.

No comments:

Post a Comment